Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Picking A Desk or Where I May Actually Do Work

As per my usual - I'm stuck. I often find it difficult to make design choices because I love so many different styles. Right now I'm feeling a more transitional and eclectic design. I like clean modern lines with a hint of glam or some other special touch. However, I want to be careful to not end up with pieces for my home that I will be sick of in six months because they were trendy. 

Right now my design dilemna is a desk. I will be replacing a queen anne style desk that does not have a lot of character and is definitely dated. I know it's traditional, and they say traditional is just that because it never goes out of style, but this one is not for me. I inherited this desk from my grandmother who has passed away and every time I sit at it I can hear my grandmother saying to be careful with her nice furniture and not get my clodhoppers (my shoes) too close to the furniture so I would not damage the finish or upholstery. Well, sad fact, the table needs some love. The finish is scratched and scuffed and faded beyond what a good cleaning and polish will fix (I have tried). I asked my mother if she would be upset if I sanded it down and refinished it. Her response was she would be picking it up from my house in a week. I will take that as a no Mom. Ironically, my grandmother refinished her furniture often and may have been ok with an update.
Here is what I have. Ignore Harley, the black lab, in the picture on the right. She was too lazy too move and after all - it is her house, she just lets us stay here. You can tell on the picture to the left how scuffed up the tabletop is. Also, ignore messy bookshelves. That's another project, another post, another day.

Anyhow, I will be short one desk. Spoiler alert, we will be moving by the end of the year so I also don't want to commit to a massive purchase just to find the desk does not fit in the next house. Fit being either stylistically or physically.

Here is what I have come up with so far:






I really liked the Jonathan Adler Channing desk, which #1 is very similar too, but that off center drawer kind of bothers me. The original is about $2,000, which is more than I am looking to invest.
Jonathan Adler Channing Desk

The metal legs of #1,#3, and #5 look awesome, but maybe chrome is too bold for my office. I have really been appreciating brass lately, maybe there is something I can do to make one of these even better. #2 has the cross leg base that I am enjoying the lines of. Lastly, #4 is a rustic modern look that may go well with my faux antelope rug.

Let me know which is your favorite in the comments & thank you for stopping by,

No comments:

Post a Comment